Cbox
Chat
Did you know?

First names were most often used by childhood or school friends. If the friendship was made after school age, first names would only really be used by women. Men were far more likely to refer to their friends by their surnames, a mark of familiarity. — Documentation

— Submit your own —
WANTED:

Carson Bixby for Sloane Bixby. You can take the middle-aged man out of quidd—oh, apparently you can't.
Separating was also not a great idea, though they weren't doing great at staying together anyway. If she were to volunteer to be the human sacrifice.. well... Hogsmeade had plenty of debutantes anyway...

Barnabas Skeeter in CYOA: Group D

— Nominate a quote —
Well-Traveled

Complete threads set in ten different forum locations. Threads must have at least ten posts, and three must be your own. Character accounts cannot be combined.

<
>

Grand Adventures
Open 
May 31, 1888 — Voyager, Abroad
Eugene was quite excited about the fact that he was on a grand expedition. The owls were a bit more trouble than he had been expected but it was fine for the most part. One problem though was the fact that since had never actually been on a ship before, he’d had no clue that he was the sort to get sea sick. As such, a lot of his time was spent either being sick into a bucket or over the side of the ship. He was feeling a bit better today and he was hoping that meant that his body was finally getting used to the motion of the sea. "Do you reckon we will be stopping onto land soon?" Eugene asked curiously as he pulled out a deck of cards to occupy himself with. The owls were usually napping around this time of day so he was now left mostly to his own devices.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eugene Reese's post:
   Ophelia Devine
After having dispatched of the two stowaways, things had been (to coin a phrase) primarily smooth sailing for Alfred. They might not have made any particular discoveries, but they had also managed to avoid any overt calamity, which was an improvement from the last expedition he had been on. No one had come down with dragonpox, the healer hadn't died, the owls were all still fluttering in and out with regular correspondence, and it seemed very unlikely that they would be in danger of crashing into a mountain anytime soon.

That being said, he was generally in good spirits most days. The sea was one of the places where he felt most at ease — though it amused him when he saw signs that for some of his crew, the waves had a different effect.

"If we find Avalon," Alfred responded with a light-hearted shrug. "Still haven't found your sea-legs, hm?"

"I've never been on a ship before - or anywhere, really," Eugene shared as he set up a game of solitaire for himself. "I've been a house serviceman almost all my life." It had been a good life and Eugene had been content but that one event had driven home just how little of the world he had seen. He was happy he had signed up for this expedition, it was proving to be something new, at the very least. "We'll find Avalon, I'm sure of it," he said with the bright optimism of someone that was actually unaware that Avalon was considered a myth by many.
Alfred couldn't help but grin at the blind optimism displayed by someone who had so very little to do with actually finding it; he knew that his navigator and several of his officers were decidedly less certain. He wasn't even sure whether Pablo really believed they had a chance at finding it, when it came down to it, or whether he was just along for the ride, so to speak. But it was nice to know that someone on the expedition was confident, instead of just pretending to be.

"I hope you're right," he said with a chuckle. "Or I'll have some explaining to do to the sponsors. They didn't shell out for a three-month pleasure cruise."

"What would they do if we didn't find it?" Eugene asked curiously. He was still rather sure that they would find it, though. "Will finding Avalon make you very rich?" Eugene could barely read so he hadn't read anything about what the Captain was getting out of this aside from the adventure.

"I wouldn't say very rich," Alfred said, honestly amused by the man's naivete towards how this whole thing worked. "We're paid for the expedition whether we find anything or not. But if we found an island full of ancient treasures," he said with an almost playful shrug. Really, the benefit of finding something in his mind was being able to get funding for future ventures; he just wanted to be underway, really, and he couldn't do that unless someone was willing to pay him for it.

"At the end of the day, though, no matter how much we bring in, I'll still be a sailor at heart," he continued. He could find the entire fortune of King Arthur himself and have two vaults full to the brim at Gringott's, and he still wouldn't ever fit in at one of those fancy parties he occasionally had to go to in order to schmooze with sponsors.