Cbox
Chat
Did you know?

Fern-hunting parties became popular, allowing young women to get outside in a seemingly innocuous pursuit with less rigid oversight and chaperoning than they saw in parlors and drawing rooms. They may have even had the occasional romantic meetup with a similarly fern-impassioned beau. — Bree

— Submit your own —
WANTED:

Bunny Devon for Anne Devon. My fair lady of the night
Separating was also not a great idea, though they weren't doing great at staying together anyway. If she were to volunteer to be the human sacrifice.. well... Hogsmeade had plenty of debutantes anyway...

Barnabas Skeeter in CYOA: Group D

— Nominate a quote —
Well-Traveled

Complete threads set in ten different forum locations. Threads must have at least ten posts, and three must be your own. Character accounts cannot be combined.

<
>

Be a Man
Open 
May 30th, 1888 — Hogwarts Coming Out Ball

"Are you well?" He asked the girl who had just fled from the dance floor, directly into his path. Barnabas reached out to steady her, but did not go so far as to touch her so as not to appear forward. He had once attended the Coming Out Ball and been able to dance with the graduating girls women, but not so anymore. His prosthetic leg made walking a hindrance. Dancing was entirely impossible for him, which made his efforts to stay front-of-mind in the social circle of marriageable men even more difficult.

He shifted his weight to his good leg and furrowed his brow with concern.

Are you female, < 5'3" and MC? Marry me!

av by Bree ❤
She had come for her friends—in particular, Daffodil—as this was their night. Had Charity not prevented her from returning for a sixth and seventh year, this would have been Becky’s night, too. Still, this was a detail the young potioneer had resolved not to dwell upon, and she had donned her gladrags, tidied her hair, and begun to fill her dance card.

Her resolution had faltered, though, when one of the twins—she assumed; she could not say for sure—magicked a large tear into the skirts of her dress. Tears brimming in her eyes, Becky fled the dancefloor mid-Quadrille, clutching at the fabric so as to hold it together.

Becky’s flight was halted by a gentleman, and she had to blink the tears from her eyes to better see him.

“I-I,” she stammered, every inch of her screaming that the answer to his question was a resounding no. “It’s m-m-my dress,” Becky was able to utter.

[Image: NBBOv5S.jpg]
— beautiful set courtesy of lady <3 —
Barnabas looked at the fabric clutched in her hands. It was an odd place for a tear - right at the knee - which, as far as he could tell, didn't have any seams. He did not have time to figure out what had happened to her, however. First, she needed tending to. The tears in her eyes made her humiliation all the more real. He ought to get her somewhere with fewer eyes so that she could sort herself out.

"It can be mended," He reassured her, "There's no need for tears. Shall I accompany you somewhere so you can get it sorted out?" Assuming that it was already a yes, he gently took her by the elbow and slowly ushered her toward the corridors. "I know a particularly good mending spell, if you think you may need assistance, Miss...?"

av by Bree ❤
Becky could do little more than nod in consent, and allowed herself to be led to the relative privacy of the corridors.

“Grey,” she squeaked in answer to him. “B-Becky Grey.”

It was so kind of him to offer to help. The witch had expected ridicule and mockery from the others in attendance, not empathy and aid! Had she the presence of mind to do so, Becky might have felt bad about prompting the man to move unnecessarily, given his affliction, but he did so with an unexpected degree of grace—and she did not have said presence of mind.

"Miss Grey," He amended as he guided them to a quieter corner of the corridor that was still within eyesight of the door. Barnabas would never do anything that would besmirch a poor girl's reputation. Even if it was entirely innocent, the rumors could render her marriageable. Though he would get a tiny boost of pride at having been so important in someone's life, even for just a moment, he would feel horribly guilty at ruining her life. Revenge — especially coming from a woman — was a concept that he did not want to revisit ever again.

He released her elbow the moment that they reached the designated spot. "Barnabas Skeeter, Head of the Dueling Commission Office at the Ministry, at your service. Might I see the damage?" He asked and motioned toward the fabric she clutched together.

av by Bree ❤
The name was vaguely familiar to Rebecca, but she had little enough to do with the Ministry that she probably could not have placed it even if she was not aggressively a Damsel in Distress™.

Becky nodded, but did not immediately oblige. Another deep breath, and the witch gingerly let go of the fabric she had so desperately been clutching together, relieved beyond words that her petticoats, at least, had not been impacted. The potioneer did not think she could have endured the mortification of anyone seeing her bare leg!

Barnabas, with his new chivalrous streak, refused to allow himself to notice his stomach do a flip at the glimpse of the petticoat he could see through the rip. This was no time to get excited about seeing a woman's under things. She was in distress. She trusted him to make it right. Taking advantage of that trust and enjoying her humiliation would most certainly be the opposite of chivalrous.

"That isn't so bad, is it?" He reassured her, "It'll be easily fixed, not to worry, Miss Grey."

Barnabas withdrew his wand from his dress robe pocket, "A simple mending spell will do." With that, he muttered the incantation and the fabric stitched itself back together. He wouldn't tell her that he knew such things from being very particularly about how his own robes were tailored. He'd had to fix a ripped seam or two in his day. Doing it himself was far more convenient than sending it to Twilfit & Tatting's, having it mended and then waiting for it to be sent back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Barnabas Skeeter's post:
   Rebecca Grey

av by Bree ❤
Cautiously, for she did not wish to get her hopes up, she surveyed his work. Becky felt a wave of relief wash over her as she realized he had done well. It was not, precisely, as new, but only because the witch knew to look for the fault. She doubted very much that anyone else would be the wiser.

“Mr. Skeeter, I cannot begin to thank you,” Rebecca said, entirely genuine. He might not have met the traditional definition of a knight in shining armour, but he had certainly saved her this evening!