Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Carry Your Will
    Private Thread 
    Zelda pried open her Transfiguration book with fingers that still had singe marks on them from her latest exploding snap match. (She had lost, but the point of exploding snap wasn't to win, it was to see if you could get through a match without exploding your eyebrows.)

A black smudge from her fingers imprinted on the corner of her page and she wiped at it with her sleeve to little avail. Finally Zelda huffed, brushed a strand of hair behind her ear, and decided that obviously meant that Transfiguration wasn't worth it for right now.

Letting out a quiet huff of air, she closed her book and peered around the common room for one of her boys. (Her life would have been so much easier if she could just go to their dormitory to yell at them!)

Finally she spotted one - specifically, Oliver - and flounced over to him, clutching her book under her arm.

"I'm bored," Zee protested by way of introduction, flopping rather dramatically into the chair next to him, "Textbooks are so boring. We should ritually burn them at the end of the year."
    [Image: uUQiz4B.jpg]
    BEAUTIFUL SET BY MJ
    • Oliver poured over his Transfiguration textbook intently, feverishly scribbling notes on the piece of parchment in his lap. He had already finished the homework earlier that day, but it never hurt to look at the next lesson to prepare. With OWLs coming up in just three months, it seemed to Oliver that any minute not spent with a textbook was a minute wasted.

Most of his friends didn't agree with him, especially including Zelda. He glanced up at his friend as she flopped into the chair next to his and chuckled. Zee was many things, but bookish was not one of them. Oliver had long since given up any hope of inspiring academic inclinations in her; maybe he would have succeeded if he hadn't always caved and helped her with her homework in the end.

"There, there. Think of them as a necessary evil to pass our OWLs. Unless, of course, you've decided you won't be needing them! I wonder who the lucky man is who's managed to convince you?" he teased, knowing full well that Zee had no intentions of doing such a proper thing as getting married. He didn't pretend to understand it, or have illusions of changing her mind, but it was always fun to get a rise out of her.
    Zelda made a choking sound. "You're the worst," she said, making a face at him, "Unless he's basically Robin Hood, I am not interested."

The Transfiguration textbook she had balanced on her lap was slipping closer and closer to falling to the floor, and Zee trapped it with one lazy finger.

"If I fail my OWLs I'm becoming a knight," she said, grinning rather cheekily, "Defend the helpless and all that. Stab people with a sword. It'll be fun!"

She still had the same career aspirations that she had had as a seven year old, though Zelda did not have any real intention of failing all her exams. But if she did - she could only imagine the look on her father's face, when she ran off to be a heroine!
    BEAUTIFUL SET BY MJ
    • Oliver had a good laugh at the ugly look Zee shot his way. "My mistake. Won't happen again," he said, his words laden with sarcasm. The day he stopped teasing Zelda would be the day everyone knew there was something horribly, terribly wrong with him. Well, more so than there already was, anyway. "You let me know how all of that stabbing goes."

Twirling his quill in his hand absently, he began to wonder what he would do if OWLs weren't an option. Of course he was going to pass them all and his NEWTs so he could enter auror training, but it could be entertaining to think about the alternative.

"I think I would play Quidditch. Maybe for the Howlers," he said idly. "Or write, like my dad did." He soon came back to earth, though, and adjusted his textbook and parchment in his lap. "But that's not going to happen, because we're going to pass our exams with flying colors!"
    "I'd go to all your games," she promised, "And you could write stories about all of my adventures!" She beamed, having decided not to touch the 'dad' thing with a ten foot pole because she was not entirely certain how to be comforting about it.

"We are!" Zelda said with a pump of her fist. They were all sort of great - okay, so Percy was a slacker, and sometimes she worried about Frank's scholarship, but they were a group and she was certain that Oliver would be able to drag them through with passing grades if it really came down to it.

"Gimme your book," she said, waving a lazy hand at it, "I'll quiz you on vocabulary terms or whatever."
    BEAUTIFUL SET BY MJ
    • Oliver grinned. “Stories about your adventures would be best-sellers, no doubt. The Many Misadventures of Zelda the Zany, I think I’d call them.”

He moved to place his parchment on the endtable next to him; even though he was a strong flyer, his coordination on the ground left a lot to be desired. His hand knocked against the inkwell he had so precariously perched on the arm of the chair, and emptied its contents directly onto his textbook.

“Bollocks!” He started to scramble for his wand, but then remembered it was up in the dormitory. “Can you give me a hand with this, Zee?”
    Zelda stuck her tongue out at him. Probably the hypothetical title was right - Zelda was very good at misadventures, and was certainly zany a little offbeat - but that didn’t mean that she was going to give Oliver the satisfaction.

She clamped a hand over her mouth to suppress a grin when Oliver knocked over the ink. “Yeah, I’ll help,” she said, “Mr. Future Auror.” She was still looking a little bit too amused by his circumstances.

She drew her wand from her pocket and tapped it against the ink. “Tergeo.
    BEAUTIFUL SET BY MJ
    "Yeah, yeah, it's all very funny," Oliver said, sticking his tongue out at Zelda in return. In hindsight it probably would be funny, but giving Zelda the satisfaction of being right was never all that high on his priority list. "I'll remember that the next time you need help with DADA!"

Zelda waved her wand to cast the spell; it was successful in removing not only the spilled ink, but the printed words of the page as well! Oliver stared dejectedly at the blank page, then shut the textbook and dropped it unceremoniously to the floor. "Clearly studying is just not in the cards for us today," he said, a wry smile creeping onto his face as his head flopped back against the chair. It was time for a break, anyway, and trading verbal jabs with Zelda was as good a way to spend one as any.
    Woops. Zelda made a mental note to practice her Charms work more. (Not that her mental notes really ended up panning out, where studying for magic that involved more cleanup than fun was concerned.)

"Huzzah!" Zelda said, clapping her hands together, "Even my wand thinks you need to stop studying for ten minutes, how sad is that?" Her face was absolutely deadpan for a moment, but then she gave it up and started laughing at him. Not meanly - she wasn't mean to her friends, for all that she enjoyed poking fun at him - but it was very much a laugh.

Karma bit her anyways; Zelda had not been very firmly entrenched in the chair in the first place. Now that her laugh was destabilizing her further, she slipped out of the chair and landed on the floor with a thump.
    BEAUTIFUL SET BY MJ
    "Of course your wand would think so. Maybe it's gotten so used to not being practiced with it's gotten lazy!" Oliver retorted as his friend dissolved into laughter. He tried his hardest to look displeased, but his steely look quickly faltered when Zelda flopped to the floor from her chair as she giggled. He burst into laughter once he realized she wasn't hurt, much to the chagrin of his housemates surrounding the pair.

Regaining his composure somewhat, he leaned forward and offered her a helping hand. "You know, knights do have to be at least a little bit graceful to successfully stab anyone with a sword!"
    Zelda grabbed the offered hand and, once righted, flopped right back into her armchair. "Thank you," she said with a nod, because even though she was Zelda Ophelia Fisk she did have manners. Even if she did sometimes (frequently) ignore them in favor of having a bit of fun.

"Clumsiness is how I'll disarm my opponents, clearly," Zelda said, smirking at him, "They'll underestimate me and then - bam! It's all strategy. If I had a sword you'd be stabbed by now." Her eyes glinted rather mischievously. Zelda never had been very good at taking herself (or, clearly, anyone else) seriously.
    BEAUTIFUL SET BY MJ
    "Ah, of course! Why didn't I think of it myself?" Oliver rolled his eyes. "I wouldn't be much of an auror if I couldn't defend myself against a clumsy knight. I'd disarm you before you could even lift your sword!" He grinned smugly at his friend, then added, "Of course, I'd hate to see you try to take a practice swing at anyone. I'd have to give you detention then."

Perhaps it was less than prefect-like of him, but he sometimes enjoyed lording his power over his friends -- jokingly, of course. Not that he'd ever really use it unless he had to, but it was always fun to see their reactions. He'd dread ever having to hold a detention that Zelda was attending, anyway -- she'd do her best to make herself a nuisance the whole time!
    "You'd have to catch me to give me detention!" Zelda protested. She swung an imaginary sword through the air with one hand. "And you never would, because I'm the stealthiest knight there is, duh! I'd wear a mask and everything." She would be like Robin Hood! (Did Robin Hood wear a mask? Zelda didn't know or care.)

"And 'sides, I'd only ever stab bad people. Spare you some work," Zelda said, "Stabbing people is much more serious than turning them into rabbits, after all." Not that she'd ever done either, though the more she threatened to transfigure people into animals, the more convinced she became that that was totally something she was going to have to do at some point.

Probably over the summer, though. She didn't want to have Oliver supervising her for a detention. He'd just be so Oliver about it, and she would have to be Zelda in response, and it would spiral to the point where she was never out of detention.
    BEAUTIFUL SET BY MJ
    Oliver rolled his eyes. "Stabbing is awfully dirty work, don't you think? That's why we have wands." Zelda was always the most imaginative of the group, but she could be so impractical! "Besides, transfiguring people leaves them alive so that they have to live with the shame. " He supposed some people would deserve a good stabbing or cursing... but that was why people became aurors, or at least part of the reason, wasn't it? It was certainly part of his.

"Anyway, I have to go patrol soon," he said, extricating himself from the chair and gathering his belongings to return them to his dormitory. "Do try to keep yourself from doing whatever it is knights errant do while I'm gone, yeah?" He smirked as he stood upright, arms full.
    "That's a fair point," Zelda said with a faux-solemn nod, "I'll have to keep that in mind, for when I'm a knight." If only female magic-users could be official knights - damn Queen Victoria! She'd have to settle for being a fake knight, clearly.

"I'll try not to rescue any maidens or slay any dragons," she said, giving Oliver a mock-salute, "Have fun with your patrol! Don't take any points from us!" Maybe now she would do her Transfiguration notes - but she was really good at Transfiguration, so.

With Oliver gone, Zelda drew an elaborate picture of a dragon.
    BEAUTIFUL SET BY MJ