Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Bookstorm: Victorian Lit
Hi friends! Am looking for a brainstorm of novels written during the VE that you have read and enjoyed, or those that you have heard good things about!

— Aldous walks with a cane and pronounced limp as the result of a splinching accident. —
[Image: TrSGeWR.jpg]
— graphics by lady ❤ —
The Woman In White
Great Expectations
A House of Pomegranates
Any of Gerald Manley Hopkins' poems (Kingfishers catch fire, Spring and Fall, and The Caged Skylark are my faves)
Alice in Wonderland + Through the Looking Glass
Edgar Allen Poe's short stories (but esp. The Masque of Red Death and The Black Cat imo)
NOLI ME TANGERE & EL FILIBUSTERISMO DAMMIT (Get the Soledad translation, because she actually cared about translation)

I'll edit more later :D

The Woman in White | Wilkie Collins | Seconding this, one of my faves!
Wuthering Heights | Emily Bronte | My other fave, will fight people about it
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall | Anne Bronte | The other most important Bronte novel, sorry Charlotte
No Name | Wilkie Collins | TBH I don't remember it very well, but I enjoyed it as a kid? About sisters who discover they're illegitimate and poor~
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde | R L Stevenson | Studied it at school, not sure how good it was but it's short enough that it's worth a read!
North & South | Elizabeth Gaskell | Callout to myself for still not having read this >.>
Carmilla | Sheridan Le Fanu | Another thing that's been on my to-read list forever. All I know is lesbian vampires.

(Idk if we're doing just British books or worldwide 1800s? But all the famous French/Russian things as well)

look ANOTHER beautiful bee!set <3
Seconding Carmilla. There's never not a good time to read about lesbian vampires.
The Beetle by Richard Marsh is glorious nonsense.
East Lynn by Ellen Wood is a fave, as is anything by Braddon but especially Lady Audley's Secret.
I'm also quite partial to Thomas Hardy as a novelist and would always recommend the Mayor of Casterbridge to anybody.
You just said novels, but there's a load of fin de siècle short stories that are great too, especially the ones by female authors and I think there's a collection called the Daughters of Decadence that has quite a few in. I'd have to check my library when I get home for more details on that one :P
Oh and Cranford! Cranford and the other parts of that world are great (especially My Lady Ludlow which always gives me TOO MANY FEELINGS ABOUT A SPINSTER I LOVE)

And just to reiterate, I cannot stress how awesome Carmilla is.

Elladora-Sig
fabulous set by Lady <3
Will continue to take recs until Tuesday!

— Aldous walks with a cane and pronounced limp as the result of a splinching accident. —
[Image: TrSGeWR.jpg]
— graphics by lady ❤ —
Can't believe I haven't responded to this because I know I read it.

Woman in White i'm currently reading. It's really good so far!
LADY AUDLEY'S SECRET!!!!!!
Dracula was good, I enjoyed that more than I expected and there have been so many different film adaptations and they all take liberties with the original plot and characters so I didn't actually know what to expect.

On my to read list that haven't been mentioned yet so far:
Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte
Wuthering Heights
Hard Times by Dickens
Basically any Dickens at all
Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
The Strange Case of Jekyll and Hyde by Robert Louis Whythehellisthissolong Stevenson
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy
War and Peace by the above gentleman
The Odd Women by George Gissing
The Memoirs of two young wives by honore de balzac

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Roberto Devine
May 26, 2018 – 2:39 PM
View a Printable Version