Cbox
Chat
Did you know?

First names were most often used by childhood or school friends. If the friendship was made after school age, first names would only really be used by women. Men were far more likely to refer to their friends by their surnames, a mark of familiarity. — Documentation

— Submit your own —
WANTED:

Emilia Wright for Jude Wright. Casually alienating offspring since 18882.
Separating was also not a great idea, though they weren't doing great at staying together anyway. If she were to volunteer to be the human sacrifice.. well... Hogsmeade had plenty of debutantes anyway...

Barnabas Skeeter in CYOA: Group D

— Nominate a quote —
Well-Traveled

Complete threads set in ten different forum locations. Threads must have at least ten posts, and three must be your own. Character accounts cannot be combined.

<
>

The Proper Kind of Introduction
Open 
May 19th, 1888 - Sanditon Resort at this event

Open to Shawn Delaney and 1-2 others who might be at the Sanditon Resort Season Opener

If the Delaney siblings were going to have any success being invited to events without Imogen to introduce them then Caroline needed them to be at the right kind of events to have introductions made. She needed to create openings for them, alright for her, to have any success at all this season and that was all she had, one season, to make her plan work. Shawn had been rather clear on that point, and while Caroline still felt she might be able to sway him she wasn't about to test the theory. As such when she had seen that Sanditon Resort would be having a weekend long event she determined it was just the thing to get them introductions they might need. She'd presented it to Shawn as imperative that they attend and he had relented easily enough.

A resort by the shore was nothing that really made Caroline as excited as it seemed the denizens of magical Great Britain to be. She had grown up on the shore and spent much of her life around the docks of Boston. Like most of the Delaneys the call of the ocean ran through her blood. While she might not think a sea weekend something to write home about, the social possibilities excited her and the familiar smell of salt and brine set her at ease. She almost felt as if she were on her own home turf.

Shawn and herself had checked into their rooms already and Caroline had proposed a walk along the boardwalk to get their surroundings and, in an argument that went unspoken, to see and be seen by those around them.

[Image: vg1Bdq.png]
Amazing MJ set!
Shawn had been a bit hesitant to actually leave the townhouse in London for a whole weekend but Caro had had that look in her eyes. The one that said she'd fight for it tooth and nail. So, he'd put up just a smidge of a fight before relenting. He couldn't very well let her win easily, that would just go straight to her head and she'd think he was being sneaky about something else. But in the end, Shawn had been glad for the break in monotony. Business talks were boring! Shawn simply wasn't cut out for such things. Their eldest brother, however, was best made for them.

Now that they were there and relatively settled in, he was grateful to his little sister. Smelling the briny sea did wonders the his soul, one very much of a sailors. He paused just briefly with their walk so that he could really take in a deep breath of it, enjoying the wind ruffling his hair some. "You don't quite realize just how much you miss it until you smell it again," he said quietly to his sister, knowing she'd be one of few to understand his words.

Help me, it's like the walls are caving in
Sometimes I feel like giving up, but I just can't
it isnt in my blood
Coding thanks to Lynn!
Shawn seemed to be enjoying their walk, Caroline noted with a smile. He seemed a bit less like he was brooding and even stopped to ‘smell the roses’ so to speak. Or in their case the fresh smell of the sea. She wasn’t sure there was a smell that reminded her more of home than that of the ocean.

At Shawn’s statement Caroline nodded. “I know. It always reminds me of home. I didn’t think I’d miss it as much as I do.” She confessed with a soft smile on her face. The smell, not home, that was. Not wanting Shawn to think her in the least bit homesick she added, “London just doesn’t smell the same.” In reality London just smelled terrible.

Amazing MJ set!
Shawn quite understood what his sister was saying. The briny smell of the sea water was home to Shawn. Having spent the majority of his life actually living on the ocean, he couldn't really picture living life forever on solid ground. Honestly, he'd rather be dead than forced into such a living. He didn't know how people did it, really. It wasn't a life worth living in his opinion. It was why their eldest brother would take over running the business from the management side and Shawn would be the one deal with the ships and the travels. He may not have as steady of a living as Jeremy but he'd have a happy one.

"And yet you want to remain here," he said with a smirk, toying with her simply for the fun of it, "Whatever will you do should you ensnare one of these uppity Englishmen and be stuck in London for the rest of your days?"

it isnt in my blood
Coding thanks to Lynn!
She did wish to stay in London, it was still new to her. Full of adventure and promise. Perhaps one day she'd tire of it, but then again her options here were better than back home, did it matter if she tired of it? Her mother would say not, but she supposed Shawn might say something different. It had been a risk to come here, even if her prospects weren't better, it had been the adventure that Caroline had spent her life longing for. She couldn't have sat by idly and waited for Shawn to come back to Boston, especially not when she could be seeing a new place herself.

"I shall convince them to take me on adventures!" Caroline responded grandly as her eyes glittered with mischief and a hint of truth. "And if he refuses, I shall simply stow away aboard your ship and have plenty of grand adventures with the spray of the ocean and the smell of the brine about me." Really Shawn was the only one she would indulge with such talk, partially because he wouldn't scold - at least at as much as anyone else.

Amazing MJ set!
Shawn laughed at his sister's response. He should have expected something like that. Of all the Delaney siblings, she was most like him. She thrived on adventure and sought it out whenever she could. Of course, it was different for him to go out on adventures. She wasn't expected to do things the way that he could freely. It was unfortunate, but something that she'd have to get used to. He did hope she could find a man who would be able to give her the adventures she sought though otherwise she's surely be miserable.

"As long as I don't have some British dandy coming at me for a duel," he said with a smirk, "You're welcome on my ship anytime." A ship he was longing to get back onto. Merlin, he hoped he'd be able to get back out on the seas sooner rather than later.

it isnt in my blood
Coding thanks to Lynn!
Why Lissy had insisted on this trip to the beach was still beyond Percy, even as they walked together down the boardwalk. Something about it would do him good, and it being social. He supposed it was all the same as she normally talked him into.

Ahead of him another couple walked, Percy watched them. He’d always liked to watch people. He’d collect observations like clues of who they were. The young lady was small and smiling brightly, her dark hair matched that of the man beside her who was bearded and gruff. Similarities in the face hinted at relations rather than a match. Lissy and Percy had almost passed the pair when Percy noticed the young woman drop her handbag.

Without thinking he scooped it up and approached the pair, handbag held out. “Excuse me miss, I think you dropped this.” He held it out to her in a very matter of fact way.

Wonderful set is a work of art from Lynn!
Going to the Sanditon was simply meant to be a distraction. The benefit was that Felicity could possibly get a better idea of what ladies were still out and about and available for her brother. He'd need to be her new project for the season. He wasn't getting any younger and their father wasn't doing very well. He needed a wife to get settled with in the event he were to inherit sooner rather than later. It was a bit of a scary thought to her, but something that was constantly lurking along in the back of her mind.

She smiled as her brother stooped to pick up a handbag that had likely been dropped by the pair not far from where they were. She followed along with him, looking the pair over to see if she recognized either of them. She didn't though and that was a shame. She was a cute girl and the man next to her was quite dashing in a rugged, rogue sort of way.

BEE-utiful Set!
[Image: vymbij.png]
Caroline laughed, not even realizing as she did that her handbag fell to the ground. She was just about to retort when a gentleman interrupted her.

Oh. Thank you, sir. I hadn’t even realized I dropped it.” She replied airly, a charming smile lilting her lips. He didn’t look half bad and judging by the way he dressed she could certainly do worse for herself.

Amazing MJ set!
Shawn smiled at his sister's laughter. That was how he liked to hear her. It was the true Caro and not the one putting on airs to try and get them integrated into the British society. But almost as if on cue, they were face to face with a pair of them. He had to fight the urge to roll his eyes but at least this gentleman didn't look to be the dandy sort. And he was at least a gentleman, seeing to Caro's handbag. The lady next to him, however, seemed to be giving them quite the looking over.

"Yes, thank you, sir," he echoed his sister's sentiments, eyes now focusing on the gentleman before them and introduced himself, "Shawn Delaney. This is my sister, Caroline Delaney." He offered his hand to the man then, his American accent more than obvious as he spoke.

it isnt in my blood
Coding thanks to Lynn!
Percy had thought up quite the story of these two, for now that they were closer it was obvious they were siblings. But the accents blew that story to smithereens. They were American. Percy had met several Americans, especially with his time at the Zoological Gardens, it seemed there was a home for American zoologists in Irvingly, why they were all attracted there he’d never really figured it out.

Taking the man’s hand he shook it politely, focusing on him as he spoke, the girl’s green eyes were almost piercing. “It’s a pleasure to meet you both. This is my sister, Miss Felicity Adlard, and I’m Percy Adlard.” He’d long ago given up his christian name in favor of his nickname, it reminded him less of his father.

Felicity dipped a small curtsy as her brother introduced her to the two before them. Her interest was piqued when she'd heard their evident American accents. She most certainly didn't know them yet. But..she wanted to. Flashing a brilliant smile to them both, she turned her attentions to the young lady.

"How are you enjoying the resort?" she asked, then to gauge how long they'd been there or how long they'd be staying she added, "Have you been here long? Will you be staying long?" She didn't dare look up to her brother, surely she was getting something of a look for asking so many questions so quickly.

BEE-utiful Set!
[Image: vymbij.png]
Caroline dropped the newcomers a polite curtsey as Shawn introduced her, smiling at them both. She couldn’t help but laugh when the young lady before her began to throw questions their way. “We’ve been here but a day, so far I’ve loved every moment of it. I will be quite sorry to leave at the end of the weekend.” Caroline explained, answering all the questions at once. “And yourselves?” She returned. These two seemed like they could be just the right people she and Shawn needed to meet.

Amazing MJ set!
Shawn watched with a bemused expression. He hadn't thought it possible to out-talk Caro but it seemed that the Miss Felicity Adlard could possibly be his sister's match when it came to that. It also looked as though the two could easily get along even if it appeared there were a couple of years between the two. Though, he'd never really been good at judging such things and the other miss didn't look to be too terribly old. He fell silent though, allowing for the ladies to do the majority of the talking at present.

it isnt in my blood
Coding thanks to Lynn!
It never ceased to amaze Perxy how Lissy could make a friend in mere moments. The two ladies had hardly been introduced and already they chatted away as if they had known each other for years and were simply catching up after a matter of months apart.

He turned to the gentleman beside him in an aside, "It seems as if the ladies might have just made a new friend of each other." He paused, likely Lissy expected him to entertain himself while the ladies spoke, so he looked at the man again wishing he werent called upon for polite conversation. Accompanying Lissy was turning into quite the chore instead of a relaxing weekend. "Are you enjoying your time in England?" He asked the brother.

Shawn chuckled lightly at the other man's response as he watched his sister and the other girl walk away together already deep in conversation. He was pretty sure Caro would be getting her fingers in tight with this girl and making a point to become good and acquainted with her. He had a feeling his season would certainly be filled even more as a result.

"Caro is quite the friendly sort," he answered honestly, "And she's a bit of a woman on a mission. We're likely to only be here for the season as I finish up some business deals for our family's export company. I imagine she's trying to do what she can to prolong it for as long as she possibly can." She'd surely find any excuse to stay even longer if she could. Problem was, he'd always had a hard time saying no to her, especially if she presented legitimate reasons.

"I'm enjoying it well enough I suppose," he added with a slight shrug, "I prefer my time on the sea, truth be told. This is probably the longest I've been stationary since I started captaining a ship."

it isnt in my blood
Coding thanks to Lynn!