Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Private
A Blast From the Past
February 16th, 1892
Dear Mr. St.John-Black,,
In all honesty, I'm not exactly sure what has possessed me to think of writing to you. We're both happily married now to two wonderful people and I have no wish to interfere at all. I believe it's a hope that you can help shed some light on a few questions I have. You are, of course, not required to answer nor do I have any expectations of a reply. Please, forgive me if this is all untoward.

The recent explosion at the Ivy Leaf Café in Hogsmeade has left me with some lingering injuries — primarily the loss of two years worth of memories. You see, when I awoke I thought myself to still be betrothed to you. It was a shocking revelation, of course, as I'm led to believe it was at the time of occurrence, too. I merely am struggling still to understand the chain of events that led to the changes. Was it a shock to you then? You have my apologies for any chaos or grief I might have caused if so.

Were we terribly ill suited? The only memory I have of you was the dinner where we first met and, from what I can recall, it didn't go perfectly smooth. Is that true? I know I was reluctant to be betrothed, and for that you have my sincerest apologies. Any assumptions I made of you were from my own shortcomings and were no reflection on you. Also, might I ask, what was it about my family that enticed you into a betrothal? It all seemed so rushed at the time ... or was it in the works long before I was aware? There are a great many pieces to this puzzle that I fear I'm entirely unaware of.

I'm sorry, again, for how brazen my words are with this letter. I feel at a loss with everything right now and any answers given only leave me with more questions. Perhaps if I can gather all the answers it'll provide a more concise story.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this. I do hope you and Mrs. St.John-Black are well. I sincerely wish you both the best.
Sincerely,
Mrs. Melody Crouch

Rewritten several times -to select his words, there were more than a few variants thrown into the fire

Mrs. Crouch,

I am sorry to hear of the incident! When I read about the explosion I never presumed I might know someone among the injured.  I cannot imagine how frightening that must have been for you, and indeed for your husband and child and I am relieved immensely that you are as well as you are, in spite of your current ailment. 

As to 'Us' -there has been much water under the bridge since then and you owe me no apologies.  Indeed it is I who perhaps owe one to you.  While I would have preferred not to have been 'left at the alter' I believe you saved us both from unhappiness through your marriage to Mister Crouch.

And I hope you are happy Melody, I thought myself capable of making you happy once, a vain consideration I now realise.  When I sought your hand I did truly believe that I could and would make you happy in building a life together, but it was truly kinder of you not to marry me, than it would have been to become my wife while loving another.  I said and did things to secure your hand that would not have endeared any woman to the prospect of a life with me, in seeking to flatter your father and assure him of my suitability, I neglected to do the same to you, sure that I would have a lifetime to convince you.  And for that neglect I am sorry. 

While I dearly regret that your family have chosen not to be part of your life, I am sure this is their loss.  The Crouches are a good family, in spite of what has passed between us and your daughter would bring them much joy as grandparents if they let them.  I hope you might find a fresh start with them. 

I do not wish you ill Melody, and indeed if we were to meet again in society I would hope we might meet as friends. 

Kind Regards,

Samuel St.John-Black

[Image: YKi0A8i.jpg]
Lady is a star
February 19th, 1892
Dear Mr. St.John-Black,
I must thank you for your exceedingly kind letter. You could have chosen a path of bitterness and instead were genuine in your words, thank you for that. It's something I won't forget.

Might I press you for more details? Everything is still so foggy to me and I'm struggling to make sense of it all. Was I aware of the things you said and did? Did that play a hand in my abrupt decision to elope? Mr. Crouch and I are as happy as any married couple are to be, I've merely never been capable of leaving a puzzle unsolved. He is exercising extreme caution in providing details to avoid overwhelming me, which is kind in a way. It is, however, mildly frustrating to only have bits and pieces when you're trying to make sense of the larger picture.

We shall meet as friends should we ever see one another in public again. Of that I'm certain. As for my family, I don't believe there to be a path of reconciliation available. As I'm sure you were made aware, my father is quite set in his ways. Little could sway him. At least that part makes sense.

I do hope you and Mrs. St.John-Black are happy as well. I remember her from school and she is an incredibly kind person.
Most Sincerely,
Mrs. Melody Crouch

Mrs Crouch,

I will provide all that I know and Information is the least I can offer under the circumstances, as there is much that even I am unsure of.

I saw you at a party before we were acquainted - I met your father at the club and he arranged for your engagement before you and I met. I am unsure as to all you heard about me, or indeed I am unsure as to all you heard me say, but I am sure there were at least some of my comments designed to win your fathers favour that you did hear and would not have been put me in a good light. I am certain you overheard at least one rather cold comment of mine about you being a satisfactory bride. I redden to think of how callous those comments must have seemed to you - no matter what my intentions were.

I cannot imagine that it did not play a hand in your decision, I must have appeared a brute to you, given that we had met but once properly, for a dinner, at the end of which I insulted you. I also imagine the speed of the arrangement between your father and I did not help. If perhaps there had been more time in our acquaintance we might have known each other better, however no sooner was the arrangement settled with your father than the date was set - a whirlwind with a man you were familiar with - breakneck speed with a man you had never met before and who posed the risk of taking you away to a foreign land.

I hope what information I have helps fill in the gaps for you.

Hope is well, and always speaks well of you, she asks after you and the baby.

Kind Regards
Mister S. St.John-Black

Lady is a star
February 25th, 1892
Dear Mr. St.John-Black,
Your letter was most certainly informative and I thank you for your candor. It reminded me of a conversation I had with my mother presumably shortly after Mr. Crouch and I eloped, so at the very least it has sparked some memories.

Whatever your words or choices were at the time, I forgive you for them. We were quite obviously ill suited for one another and I'm glad to know we've both found happiness since then. While I still cannot recall the events of Valentine's Day 1889, which I'm told is the night we ran off, I'm now certain it wasn't a planned out decision. I told no one of my thoughts to elope or made any mentions of Mr. Crouch to any of my friends. It seems odd that such a life altering decision wouldn't have been shared with someone beforehand anyway.

Forgive me, I'm rambling.

Please send Mrs. St.John-Black my best wishes. Once things have settled some more here perhaps I shall ask her over for tea.
Most Sincerely,
Mrs. Melody Crouch

In spite of himself he was pleased to hear that her elopement had not been something which she had planned, either as some sort of act of capriciousness or just to embarass him. It was definetly a salve a wound he had not realised was still present on his ego. He set the letter aside to discuss with Hope, before picking up his pen.

Mrs Crouch,

I'm glad for that, and pleased that we might wipe the slate and attempt to begin as though we are new acquittances, which despite our engagement - we essentially are.

I'm sure Hope would like to receive your invitation a great deal, and if it would assist your reunification with your family in any way we might make some more public statement of the resolution of our differences, such as your husband and yourself, joining Hope and I for dinner at the hotel. Although I should like to have a conversation with Mister Crouch ahead of any such dinner.

Kind Regards
Mister S. St.John-Black

Lady is a star
March 3rd, 1892
Dear Mr. St.John-Black,
As much as I appreciate the generous offer, I could never request the burden of my family troubles to become yours to deal with in any form. I might have forgotten myself in our last few letters and revealed too much of my personal struggles, for that you have my sincerest apologies.

I shall reach out to Hope once the healers at the hospital clear me of any remaining injuries. It would be nice to speak to her again as acquaintances.
Sincerely,
Mrs. Melody Crouch

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Gus Lissington
February 16, 2022 – 8:52 PM
View a Printable Version