Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Private
At an art exhibit on memory lane
Ross felt perceived, at least enough for this portrait.

"I would like to," he said, "If it's not too soon."

Even if it was abysmal — he did not expect it to be abysmal — he would not have her change it.

With a softly uttered spell, she rotated the easel so that the canvas faced him.  She stood by it, both physically and metaphorically, and wiped at her paint-dappled hands as she waited for his reaction.  She was never one for grand or dramatic reveals but even with her simple approach the first look was usually at least a little evocative.

"As I said, the colors will be slightly different once they've cured and I've added the varnish."

"Have you heard? She's the one that killed her husband!

They couldn't prove it... but everyone says it was her"
Ross appraised the portrait. "It's an impressive likeness, Mrs. Embry," he said, after a beat. He smiled at her. "Particularly in the expression, and the hair." It did not look as if she had painted a white woman's idea of how Black hair must be, as divorced from reality — no, Mrs. Embry had actually painted his hair as it looked. "Thank you for your services."

She dipped her head in acceptance of the compliment. She never knew what to say when receiving one about her work but she was glad to hear he was happy with it. She even let slip a pleased expression at the mention of his hair - it wasn't a texture she'd had much practice with and had been an enjoyable challenge.

"Thank you for the commission." part of her burned to thank him in particular for hiring her in spite of her reputation but she was still a little rattled by his very artful revelation. And it wasn't like her to say such things in so many words. Instead, after a moments hesitation, she took a step back behind the easel and began to gather up her paints and brushes to leave.

"I'll send word when it's finished."

The following 1 user Likes Louisa Embry's post:
   Justin Ross

"Have you heard? She's the one that killed her husband!

They couldn't prove it... but everyone says it was her"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Elsie Kirke
March 5, 2023 – 10:00 PM
Last Post by Savino Zabini
April 17, 2022 – 11:54 PM
View a Printable Version