Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Open
Disaster Central | Of Men & Monsters
This'll be messy. Jump right in.

CAMEOS

NPCs who can be claimed or filled in with current characters to form a connection with some pre-existing history.
Armel:
>An awkward grocery store encounter

Marmaduke Warbeck
25 | MCHB | Ravenclaw Class of '81 | NEWT Examiner | 6
Marmaduke is the second youngest son of his large, oddball family. Ravenclaws, Hufflepuffs, and Quidditch fans may have familiarity with him; Revolutionaries or Augurey Beak Cafe regulars definitely have familiarity with him. My hopes for his character arc are fairly open for the time being.

• Friends! Marmaduke is a quiet, nice enough seeming fellow when he's not waxing poetry about the inevitability of death. Fellow alumni, work buddies, Revolutionaries, academics, and friends of the family can all count themselves within his circle. His closest friends and family have generally been those as comfortable (or even more comfortable) with writing as speaking.
  • Enemies! While he does his best to avoid harsh words, there are certainly those he clashes with. Brash personalities, and men doubly so. Those who have no appreciation for introspection. People who ask "mind if I smoke?" mid-lighting up, even though he didn't mind just a second ago. Purebloods are regarded with some suspicion, even though he's always been comfortably middle-class and closer to a pureblood's lifestyle than a muggleborn's.
  • Lovers! Marmaduke has romantic aspirations. He likes to picture himself with an intelligent, independent wife, three kids, and respectable standing. On the flipside, he has also gotten incredibly invested in a man in the past (role open), and then suddenly stopped visiting after he off and got married. How rude! In short, Marmaduke has good but Narnia-deep closeted intentions.
    With all this noted, he is open to hurling with ACAB. I like it messy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ahmet "Armel" Koch
    25 | WCMB | Complicated education history | Chef | 10

Born and raised abroad, Armel has Anglicized his name and been working in a French restaurant in London since '79. If your character has Anatolian or German connections, it's a small wizarding world... }Smile
    His education history spans Constantinople from 1874 - 1877, Germany 1877 - 1879 before dropping out to work through an educated connection.

• Friends! Working and middle class, primarily. He has pen pals in Constantinople and Germany, possibly other places as well. Restaurant workers, Ottoman immigrants, and beggars who were snapping up leftover food from the restaurant might be on friendly or terms with him.
  • Enemies! Diners who probably don't realize they're on his bad side. People he may like who have stumbled across incriminating evidence of his past. Anyone who's ever wrinkled their noses while uttering the word 'spicy'.
  • Lovers! Ahmet swings both ways and is no fool to what happens when men and women mingle. In the past, it is possible he's had flirtations with women, and actual dalliances with men - especially in Germany for men, and possibly in London for either. Individuals of interest were most likely competent at something, and not known for promiscuity.
    Hurling-wise, I'll say 'yes' to most threads especially even if it's bound to end badly.
    Low difficulty - If you want a character to be pursued by him, hurl a reserved spinster or an aloof man at him who have alright to excellent reputations and are working class.
    Medium difficulty - middle class, childbearing-ready, or dubiously reputable women; middle-to-upper class, or lackadaisical men.
    High difficulty - upper class, dangerous to pursue, large-family-craving, or married women; married men, men who have a demonstrated ability to tie cherries with their tongues.

The following 1 user Likes Marmaduke Warbeck's post:
       Elsie Kirke
    Hello and welcome!

First off, Raymond Beasley is my rev member! He's a couple years older than Marmaduke but he hardly went to school so they would know each other solely through the Revs. He's the Bahorel of the group. Rough and tough but crazy loyal to those he deems worthy. He bartends at the ABC and whatnot so would be a constant presence there. He probably doesn't think much of the whole poetry stuff but that's just cause he's not the speak with fists type and whatnot. Otherwise I'm sure they'd get along! Ray probs just pokes fun at his poetry and whatnot.

Jameson Jewell is a year older and from the same house. His family runs their own distillery biz. He's a pretty jovial and welcoming sort so they could have become friends easily enough while at school.

And that's all that's really jumping out at me at the moment!

Another Glorious MJ Set!
    [Image: xy6Q4W.png]
    Ayyy Marmaduke <3

I am more than happy to start you some threads with my folks, whoever/whatever you fancy!

Obviously I have Carmelina Cramming who was back in Wales for the Xmas holidays and Marmaduke is her Favourite, could do some catching up there!

I am also up for a Jude Wright/Marmaduke thread anytime as well... Jude probably will try and make use of Marmaduke being one of his only current friends in the Ministry, gasp, but also is keen to chat educational reform (...and any other kind of reform...) 24/7. He will also 100% enlist him to help write pamphlets and other social justice projects from time to time xD On the other hand, Jude is very out of his depth with all things art, poetry and romance, so there's that.

Other vaguer, potential acquaintances/connections:
    Porphyria Dempsey, dramatic goth poet for all your ~nerdy literature circle needs.
    Ishmael, criminal vampire and low-key rev adjacent, snarky living proof against the inevitability of death xP
    Leila Scott is probs the closest in age as far as former schoolmates might go, she was middle class in those days but... is not, now. xD
    Theodore Gallivan and Sarah Townsend are my only Ministry folks.

look ANOTHER beautiful bee!set <3
    I think I'm in love ahahaha.

I think I have some options. Maybe bad ones. Maybe good ones. We'll see :P

My Ministry people are Edric Umbridge, Finnian Byrne, and... well, that's it, actually. Both work in the Department of Maical Law Enforcement and are on opposite ends of the "useful" scale.

I don't have revolutionaries, but Bella Scrimgeour has visited the ABC Café a few times! Dionisia Fisk is very politically liberal but she's also a newlywed who's pregnant with another man's baby, so #drama.

set by MJ!
    Okay, this is all overwhelming in a good way. xD

(January 2, 2019 – 7:17 PM)Fortuna Bixby Wrote:  First off, Raymond Beasley is my rev member! He's a couple years older than Marmaduke but he hardly went to school so they would know each other solely through the Revs. He's the Bahorel of the group. Rough and tough but crazy loyal to those he deems worthy. He bartends at the ABC and whatnot so would be a constant presence there. He probably doesn't think much of the whole poetry stuff but that's just cause he's not the speak with fists type and whatnot. Otherwise I'm sure they'd get along! Ray probs just pokes fun at his poetry and whatnot.

Raymond's backstreet boxing actually gave me ideas for a WC pugilist.

For Marmaduke: I can imagine Raymond bringing out more of his fighting side versus just his fatalism. I don't imagine this nerd is actually much good in a fight, but I could see him humoring him sparring and losing every time.

I'll be taking out Les Mis soon, and eventually know the Rev dynamics more intimately. I know, I know, late to the show - especially since my partner's a fan!

Quote:Jameson Jewell is a year older and from the same house. His family runs their own distillery biz. He's a pretty jovial and welcoming sort so they could have become friends easily enough while at school.

I could definitely see them being easy friends, what with Jameson being welcoming and Duke doing his best to not offend. He likes fighting other peoples' fights, after all - nothing personal, chaps.

(January 2, 2019 – 11:57 PM)Elias Grimstone Wrote:  I am more than happy to start you some threads with my folks, whoever/whatever you fancy!

I am 100% down to abuse newb privileges. }Smile

Quote:Obviously I have Carmelina Cramming who was back in Wales for the Xmas holidays and Marmaduke is her Favourite, could do some catching up there!

I'd love to have some running letters/correspondences between them!

Quote:I am also up for a Jude Wright/Marmaduke thread anytime as well... Jude probably will try and make use of Marmaduke being one of his only current friends in the Ministry, gasp, but also is keen to chat educational reform (...and any other kind of reform...) 24/7. He will also 100% enlist him to help write pamphlets and other social justice projects from time to time xD On the other hand, Jude is very out of his depth with all things art, poetry and romance, so there's that.

lmao the potential, MJ. The potential. I can imagine Duke subtly trying to wiggle out of treading Ministry thin ice and failing, time and time again. I could also see him volunteering himself to help with all things art, poetry, and romance and dude, why does this love letter to Jude's potential amour sound more like it was written for another dude?.

Quote:Porphyria Dempsey, dramatic goth poet for all your ~nerdy literature circle needs.

Uh, this chick is the perfect future wife on paper - especially on the 'reticent to marry' front. Chronically unavailable and impossible to impress? Perfect. Since they were both Ravenclaw and close in age, it's possible she was also his first botched attempt at courting.

Attempted physical 'reciprocation', on the other hand, would be an especially unwelcome surprise for our Prince Edmund of Closet Narnia deeply romantic young man.

Quote:Ishmael, criminal vampire and low-key rev adjacent, snarky living proof against the inevitability of death xP

lmfao I could see some beautifully uncomfortable conversations here, perhaps whilst Duke is flirting/not flirting with the idea of illegal substances because c'mon, Carmelina can't have all the adventures!

Quote:Leila Scott is probs the closest in age as far as former schoolmates might go, she was middle class in those days but... is not, now. xD

Oh man. Oh man oh man oh man, dramatic turn there. I was look, "oh, scandal! did she marry up?" and then her profile pops open with a fucking werewolf slap across the face. xD I can see him advocating for werewolf reforms while actively avoiding known werewolves.

Quote:Theodore Gallivan and Sarah Townsend are my only Ministry folks.

His main association with Theodore is probably the whole impaling fiasco. xD
    Considering how well he talks with the fairer sex, I imagine he takes Sarah's bubbliness as an invitation for "actually we're all going to die-" type conversations.

(January 3, 2019 – 1:27 AM)Edric Umbridge Wrote:  I think I have some options. Maybe bad ones. Maybe good ones. We'll see :P

<3 I don't understand the distinction. }Smile

Quote:My Ministry people are Edric Umbridge, Finnian Byrne, and... well, that's it, actually. Both work in the Department of Maical Law Enforcement and are on opposite ends of the "useful" scale.

... I kind of want to roll one of Edric's bastards.
    Finnian's cockiness may well have earned him a scathing poem or two in newsletters from an 'anonymous' writer who seems intimately familiar with his performance (or lack thereof) within the Ministry. (He thinks he cooler than him.)

Quote:I don't have revolutionaries, but Bella Scrimgeour has visited the ABC Café a few times! Dionisia Fisk is very politically liberal but she's also a newlywed who's pregnant with another man's baby, so #drama.

Bella is definitely one of those types that Duke is pointedly polite to, though it's an act of 'charity'.
    He and Dionisia probably run in the same political circles, and he's probably none the wiser to her inner turmoils. If he knew of her convoluted love life, it would basically be a detailed painting of his most vivid nightmares. :D

HI THERE.

First off I have Kieran Abernathy who is the "Grantaire" and also a crime/politics reporter for the Daily Prophet. He's low-key into classics!! But I can imagine Marmaduke maybe not liking him much when they first met because of Kieran's uhh entire deal, but Key is also one of the more ~misanthropic revs so they could have bonded over the inevitability of death. Yay, death.

Justin Ross is the Minister but tbh if they run into each other something has gone very wrong with NEWT exams. But I'm not ruling that out as an option. @"Zelda Fisk" also works for the Ministry although in a VERY different department.

MJ made this!
    Heya!

(January 5, 2019 – 12:43 AM)Cassius Lestrange Wrote:  First off I have Kieran Abernathy who is the "Grantaire" and also a crime/politics reporter for the Daily Prophet. He's low-key into classics!! But I can imagine Marmaduke maybe not liking him much when they first met because of Kieran's uhh entire deal, but Key is also one of the more ~misanthropic revs so they could have bonded over the inevitability of death. Yay, death.

I figure 'morbid' is the ultimate trump card to Marmaduke's reservations. I can see him growing a grudging respect for him over the years. I can also see him dropping hints about coworkers he hates in hopes that they get sullied in the paper.

Quote:Justin Ross is the Minister but tbh if they run into each other something has gone very wrong with NEWT exams. But I'm not ruling that out as an option. @"Zelda Fisk" also works for the Ministry although in a VERY different department.

I think I'm going to save a Ross incident for until I have a back-up character. xD That said, I'd actually be keen on something Rev-related in that department. Granted, he could also catch him on doing friends favors.

As for Zelda...

Quote:❧ Only being attracted to men who will end up upsetting her
    ❧  Getting herself into situations she really should have avoided, and yet

I think we could do something with this. }Smile

Hello, we already have a thread planned for Eugene/Marmaduke but I'm here to tell you about my revs:

Esteban Zavala is the "Courfeyrac" and is a Quidditch player that uses his fame to help further their goals. He was a Gryffindor. He left school after his OWLs because that's typically the Working Class thing to do and he had a solid job offer from Puddlemere.

Monty Morales is the "Montparnasse" who isn't really part of the friends group but he is friends with Kieran/a couple of the others and once had a ~thing with Key so he sometimes shows up to meetings for the free drinks and entertainment. He was a Slytherin but didn't attend past his first year.

(January 5, 2019 – 11:24 AM)Marmaduke Warbeck Wrote:  quoting for alert!

EXCELLENT AGREED re: Kieran/Marmaduke. Also sounds good on things w/ Ross and Zelda!! Ross isn't aware of the Revs, I think, but I would love for him to become aware of them? Also if you want any threads with these 3 I'm open. :D

MJ made this!
    (January 6, 2019 – 5:47 PM)Cassius Lestrange Wrote:  EXCELLENT AGREED re: Kieran/Marmaduke. Also sounds good on things w/ Ross and Zelda!! Ross isn't aware of the Revs, I think, but I would love for him to become aware of them? Also if you want any threads with these 3 I'm open. :D

Yes. xD

For now - how abooouuut... Kieran and Duke stuck at a mutual acquaintance's funeral?

And Zelda... at a Cannons vs. Harpies game? }Smile

Roberto Devine Wrote:I SEE YOU TOO

I keep finding ideas from your characters and getting distracted. xD

Re: Matteo - I could see Duke taking opportunities he missed with his own little brother to bring up this kid in a more Ravenclaw way. And what better way than to get him started on the important things? You know, death and Edgar Allen Poe.

Monty seems like the type of guy who would annoy him to no end but also make him reevaluate his 'type' in... women, with all sorts of convoluted rationalizations like "I am not sexually attracted to him, working class men just do crude things that would inspire such thoughts in anyone!" and other groan-worthy roundabouts.

(January 6, 2019 – 6:32 PM)Marmaduke Warbeck Wrote:  
    (January 6, 2019 – 5:47 PM)Cassius Lestrange Wrote:  EXCELLENT AGREED re: Kieran/Marmaduke. Also sounds good on things w/ Ross and Zelda!! Ross isn't aware of the Revs, I think, but I would love for him to become aware of them? Also if you want any threads with these 3 I'm open. :D

Yes. xD

For now - how abooouuut... Kieran and Duke stuck at a mutual acquaintance's funeral?

And Zelda... at a Cannons vs. Harpies game? }Smile

awesome!! do you want me to start zelda/duke, and you could start kieran/duke? Smile

MJ made this!
    (January 6, 2019 – 9:52 PM)Cassius Lestrange Wrote:  ~

Perfect!

(January 7, 2019 – 1:05 PM)Marmaduke Warbeck Wrote:  
    (January 6, 2019 – 9:52 PM)Cassius Lestrange Wrote:  ~

Perfect!

for you!~

[Image: xXXD462.png]
    AMAZING set by MJ
    (January 4, 2019 – 4:24 PM)Marmaduke Warbeck Wrote:  I am 100% down to abuse newb privileges. }Smile

Carm/Duke:
    Quote:I'd love to have some running letters/correspondences between them!
    Went ahead and sent little bro a letter! <3

Jude/Duke: HAHA LOVE IT. All sounds fab, they're going to be hopeless together.

Phyri/Duke: 1) Prince Edmund of Closet Narnia, I Am Dying. 2) Muahaha I would love for them to know each other, she would probably like him quite a lot but also potentially murder him if she realised he was trying to be romantic in her direction. xD

Ishmael/Duke: Bahaha sounds good, Ishmael is happy to encourage ~adventures.

Leila/Duke: LOL yeah surprise? I don't know why I was being cryptic about that. xD She would definitely snark about that hypocrisy if it came to it.

Ministry folks/Duke: Oh Marmaduke I love you already <3

So long story short, that all sounds great to me. Feel free to make a thread if there is anything particular you'd like to start with, if not let me know and I can add to my list! Jude and Phyri in particular could both use a new thread.

Returning visitors - character list has been updated with Armel Koch . }Smile

(January 13, 2019 – 6:29 PM)Elias Grimstone Wrote:  
    (January 4, 2019 – 4:24 PM)Marmaduke Warbeck Wrote:  I am 100% down to abuse newb privileges. }Smile

Carm/Duke:
    Quote:I'd love to have some running letters/correspondences between them!
    Went ahead and sent little bro a letter! <3

Jude/Duke: HAHA LOVE IT. All sounds fab, they're going to be hopeless together.

Phyri/Duke: 1) Prince Edmund of Closet Narnia, I Am Dying. 2) Muahaha I would love for them to know each other, she would probably like him quite a lot but also potentially murder him if she realised he was trying to be romantic in her direction. xD

Ishmael/Duke: Bahaha sounds good, Ishmael is happy to encourage ~adventures.

Leila/Duke: LOL yeah surprise? I don't know why I was being cryptic about that. xD She would definitely snark about that hypocrisy if it came to it.

Ministry folks/Duke: Oh Marmaduke I love you already <3

So long story short, that all sounds great to me. Feel free to make a thread if there is anything particular you'd like to start with, if not let me know and I can add to my list! Jude and Phyri in particular could both use a new thread.

Okay! So, I'm excited by all these options but I'm also in the process of biting off more than I can chew at once. xD Also written correspondences are one of my ultimate weaknesses.

I am keen on revisiting all these at some point. For now, how do you feel about me starting us a wayback thread with Marmaduke and Phyri to establish some dynamics and/or witness Phyri's first murder?

(January 14, 2019 – 10:29 PM)Marmaduke Warbeck Wrote:  Okay! So, I'm excited by all these options but I'm also in the process of biting off more than I can chew at once. xD Also written correspondences are one of my ultimate weaknesses.

I am keen on revisiting all these at some point. For now, how do you feel about me starting us a wayback thread with Marmaduke and Phyri to establish some dynamics and/or witness Phyri's first murder?

Bahaha yes take your time, there's no rush with any of these xD

Always love a wayback thread though, so yes please :D

Possibly Related Threads…
    Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
    View a Printable Version