Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Clue: The Movie ft. Characters of Charming
Anyone Want to Play Clue?

... and I'm not just talking about the board game! I'm not sure how many of you have seen the 1985 movie Clue, but it's based off the board game and introduces all the board game characters before giving them a reason to be there: they're all being blackmailed, hence why the characters all end up in the same mansion that evening!

I'm not that interested in following the rest of the movie's plot, simply because we tried a murder mystery last summer and it didn't really get very far. What I'm interested in having one character (or maybe an NPC!) blackmail a handful of characters by finding out their secrets and keeping the evidence. They would threaten the characters with exposure by making them do certain things (e.g. stealing things from high-end gatherings, paying blackmail money, learning secrets of other characters, etc.)

It would be a great way to start turmoil in character's lives — especially if said character has hidden dirt that you have no desire getting into the public eye but still want it to be used!

So what do I need from you?
  • Characters with dirt on them. This should be dirt that could completely damage them if it got out into the public eye (not like, "omg I'm courting this WC person and I'm UC!" since it's not really a sign of moral depravity, just questionable life choices, and it's something that would inevitably get out in the end).
  • "The Blackmailer" and other characters who might be willing to sell proof of the dirt for money or other favors. These aren't required for the plot, but would definitely make things far more interesting.
  • Commitment. There's no way to do this without players and characters having it as one of their priorities!

So now you might have some questions:

Q: How long will this go on for?
A: I want this to go on through at least June-July, but depending on the pacing it might go a little slower or faster. I don't want this to continue on for months, because I assume our characters have lives away from this and I don't want this to hold that up!

Q: What sort of characters would be best suited for the roles, other than their basic functions?
A: For "The Blackmailer", I think a UC/MC or otherwise notable character would best suited. This is because as WC could simply be quietly murdered by the characters being blackmailed without much inquiry, and that would be no fuuun. The characters with dirt on them should be UC/MC people! The "dirt-sellers" could be any class and might have to be depending on the nature of the rumor they're selling!

Q: What could this lead to, reputation-wise?
A: The goal in the end would be to end the blackmailer's antics, but that doesn't mean characters don't have to suffer! Characters who are forced to act out of character to prevent their dirt getting out might have rumors circulating about their odd behavior or be caught in abnormal places! It can really go as far as you want, but I don't intended for everyone to be "exposed", hence the nature of the plot itself though you can if you want!

The characters:
    @"Character Name" (played by -----)
    @"Character Name" (played by Bree)
I, of course, intend to be involved but what to see which characters are interested for Maximum Diversity™

MJ is MAGICAL
(April 17, 2018 – 1:07 PM)Bella Scrimgeour Wrote:  A: For "The Blackmailer", I think a UC/MC or otherwise notable character would best suited. This is because as WC could simply be quietly murdered by the characters being blackmailed without much inquiry, and that would be no fuuun.

JUST SAYING that there are highly-public/notable WC people too who would be noticed if they went missing! Also a good blackmailer never reveals themself Wink

ANYWAYS BACK ON TASK: what sort of "commitment", for lack of a better term, would this be for the blackmail-ees? I have a couple characters that could for sure work, but am wondering if this is an individual threads thing, a group threads thing, do I have to solve the mystery or can I just exist, etc.!

when am I not up for making my characters' lives difficult lbr.

The following 1 user Likes Aldous Crouch's post:
   Bella Scrimgeour

— Aldous walks with a cane and pronounced limp as the result of a splinching accident. —
[Image: TrSGeWR.jpg]
— graphics by lady ❤ —
(April 17, 2018 – 2:03 PM)Aldous Crouch Wrote:  
(April 17, 2018 – 1:07 PM)Bella Scrimgeour Wrote:  A: For "The Blackmailer", I think a UC/MC or otherwise notable character would best suited. This is because as WC could simply be quietly murdered by the characters being blackmailed without much inquiry, and that would be no fuuun.

JUST SAYING that there are highly-public/notable WC people too who would be noticed if they went missing! Also a good blackmailer never reveals themself Wink

ANYWAYS BACK ON TASK: what sort of "commitment", for lack of a better term, would this be for the blackmail-ees? I have a couple characters that could for sure work, but am wondering if this is an individual threads thing, a group threads thing, do I have to solve the mystery or can I just exist, etc.!

when am I not up for making my characters' lives difficult lbr.

Touché :P

I was thinking that, if there was no "played" blackmailer, NPC letters could be sent out to the blackmailees notifying them that knowledge of their secrets were in the possession of the blackmailer, and to prevent it they had to do "X". That would likely result in a thread where they had to handle that and any subsequent gossip.

Depending on how perceptive a character might be, they could notice potentially similar things happening with others and initiate threads with other blackmailees, but that would be up to the player's discretion re: who initiates contact.

My hope was that 1-2 of the blackmailees would the the "sleuth" sort of characters (hence why I'm waiting before throwing in a character of my own) who would find hints in letters or in the rumor mill and get all the characters together in the end, where they would hopefully find a way to either blackmail the blackmailer or just end the antics all together. It's easier to see where it goes when we have all the characters lined up (since it's much easier to figure out who would be more inclined to what when there's actual names attached), but I'm up for having characters tentatively signed~

SO BASICALLY depending on your characters' personalities, they could take a more active role in solving the mystery or be passive and have their fate rest in other people's hands :P

The following 1 user Likes Bella Scrimgeour's post:
   Aldous Crouch

MJ is MAGICAL
Stalking.
Idk Jules or Cora maybe for blackmailees.
Are they actually living all together in your planned version?

I do not currently have blackmailers but I could bring maybe Circe if no one offers fur this

[Image: mSMnBX.jpg]
bree does things!
(April 17, 2018 – 2:16 PM)Julius Scrimgeour Wrote:  Stalking.
Idk Jules or Cora maybe for blackmailees.
Are they actually living all together in your planned version?

I do not currently have blackmailers but I could bring maybe Circe if no one offers fur this

Of course they wouldn't be living together. It's not like that in the movie Clue, and it would take away any parts of them having to find each other because they'd all be under the same roofs. :P

We may have a played blackmailer pending ~things~, so stay tuned >D

MJ is MAGICAL
Cool. I skimmed it and never watched the movie!
I also didn't think I've ever finished a game of clue.

[Image: mSMnBX.jpg]
bree does things!
I have options and suggestions.

SUGGESTION | If anyone has any sort of muse/inkling for a private-detective sort of character, this would be the plot to spur them into existence. I have plenty of characters who wouldn't want to further risk getting their hands dirty/their names soiled by investigating this themselves, but would absolutely hire someone to do the digging for them. That would also be a convenient connection to get multiple blackmail-ees on the same place, if they're visiting the detective's office or the detective tells them they're being blackmailed by the same person or whatever.

OPTIONS | Some of these need the other party's approval; for all of them I would want a played blackmailer so that I know we're on the same page about stuff. These are very high-stakes secrets for my crew.
  • OPHELIA MURDERED A GUY | I would not be okay with this coming to public light but she would do anything to ensure it doesn't.

• OPHELIA'S RUNAWAY SISTER | Could actually tie in nicely to my summer plans but I'd need a played blackmailer to discuss how they're involved and how they figured it out. Someone want to pick up the Dutchman and make him a blackmailer?

• THOMULA | Would need consent from Ursula Black and probably couldn't actually come out, but that's up to Olive/Bee. Thom would probably do anything it took to keep that stuff out of the papers especially if it seemed like his relationship with Hannah Pettigrew was on the mend.

• LYRA'S BASTARD | Lyra is planning on revealing her identity sooner or later, and though she's WC she's also the sister of the late Minister so is reasonably high profile. This would require sign off from August Echelon-Arnost but Lyra would do literally anything to keep it from getting out, for the sake of the kid. She's also my only character who might do the investigative work herself because she has no qualms about killing a guy if it comes down to it.

• ERNEST'S BASTARD | Would need sign off from Rufina Mulciber; he's also least likely to go to great lengths to protect this secret because there isn't any real proof (unless the blackmailer has some that Ernest doesn't). (If we go with this option someone should play his mom)

• LOU'S EXISTENCE | Probably more of a blackmail push for Charles Jameshill and would require Kayte signing off on it, but since Lou has no plans for life and will literally die if he lets his secret get out this could be very high-drama. Also he's not UC/MC but he was upper middle class and his family still is. Lou's on vacation until Gremlin arrival :P

The following 1 user Likes Ophelia Devine's post:
   Bella Scrimgeour
Phoebe Yaxley could be a blackmailee considering her extramarital affairs. She wouldn't be a good slueth though vast she'd just write it off as a scorned lover. #nothelpful

Another Glorious MJ Set!
[Image: xy6Q4W.png]
My obvious blackmailee would probably be Bella since she's been, uh, doing things she probably shouldn't. My other option is Livia Crabbe who's been sleeping around, and even though her husband knows, society wouldn't be as understanding. It would help develop her, but Bella's the option who has a lot of issues she needs to figure out how to handle~

(April 17, 2018 – 2:35 PM)Ophelia Devine Wrote:  I have options and suggestions.

SUGGESTION | If anyone has any sort of muse/inkling for a private-detective sort of character, this would be the plot to spur them into existence. I have plenty of characters who wouldn't want to further risk getting their hands dirty/their names soiled by investigating this themselves, but would absolutely hire someone to do the digging for them. That would also be a convenient connection to get multiple blackmail-ees on the same place, if they're visiting the detective's office or the detective tells them they're being blackmailed by the same person or whatever.

OPTIONS | Some of these need the other party's approval; for all of them I would want a played blackmailer so that I know we're on the same page about stuff. These are very high-stakes secrets for my crew.
  • OPHELIA MURDERED A GUY | I would not be okay with this coming to public light but she would do anything to ensure it doesn't.

• LYRA'S BASTARD | Lyra is planning on revealing her identity sooner or later, and though she's WC she's also the sister of the late Minister so is reasonably high profile. This would require sign off from August Echelon-Arnost but Lyra would do literally anything to keep it from getting out, for the sake of the kid. She's also my only character who might do the investigative work herself because she has no qualms about killing a guy if it comes down to it.
  • These two are my favorite options. I have no intentions of the actual blackmail secrets getting out (that would vastly limit the people who would offer their SUPER SEKRET SCANDALOUS characters), but Ophelia under threat in 100% something I'd like to see her have to deal with from my perspective. Lyra's bastard would also be stellar and would diversify the group we'll hopefully be able to get together :P

• The following 1 user Likes Bella Scrimgeour's post:
       Ophelia Devine

MJ is MAGICAL
    I don't think I have anyone who would be super sleuthy about this, and obvs not down for their secrets coming out publicly, buuut potentially...?

❧ Calliope: she killed her husband and would be v. pissed about getting blackmailed, would do a lot of shit to keep that from going public.

❧ Ari: Generally being gay/his thing with Benedict Sterling. Is MC but notable bc Minister Ross? He actually has morals so would be very conflicted about giving into blackmail or doing anything shady, but also the last thing he wants is to ruin Ben's life by being implicated so. His torment is always fun for me. xD

The following 1 user Likes Elias Grimstone's post:
       Bella Scrimgeour

look ANOTHER beautiful bee!set <3
    Hey if anyone is still interested in this, Lupus Jameshill is a private eye now and needs things to do. Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
    Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
    Last Post by Caroline Darrow
    January 10, 2019 – 4:16 PM
    View a Printable Version