Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Open
Fly Guy
February 1st, 1889 — Quidditch Pitch
They hadn't done very well during their last game so James was trying to improve his skills. His main handicap was his bad arm, he felt so he kept trying to stretch and exercise it especially. He needed to try and be able to adequately block from any direction. He didn't really need to improve his flying skills since he was in a pretty solitary Quidditch position but he figured it couldn't hurt to work on that too. Kicking off, he took to the sky and did a couple of laps around the pitch. The weather was cold but James knew most Quidditch players tended to play in any weather so why should he be any different?

They would not, Rex knew, have another match until they faced Gryffindor in March, but after his less than stellar performance at the most recent Hufflepuff quidditch practice, the young chaser was embarrassed enough to trek out into the snow for a solo practice. As the youngest member of the team, Abraxas Crabbe felt as though he had the most to prove—particularly with so many quidditch players in his family!

The first year was crestfallen when, arriving on the pitch, he saw another student already in the air. I was bad enough he had made a mess of it at practice—he didn’t need an audience when he tried to make amends, too!

Rex dithered for a moment, his broomstick still slung over his shoulder. If he left, he would be in no better position than he was now—plus, he would have gone out into the cold for nothing. If he stayed…

With a sigh—one the crispness of the air allowed him to see before him—Rex mounted his broomstick and kicked off from the frozen ground.

As any captain would be, Lucky was frustrated. Loosing was not something that he liked. His pride was harmed. It didn't help that some people were giggling over his 'obsession' with some stupid gloves. No matter if they won any other games this year or not, he would definitely try to see if he can do some practice during summer with his sister. As a captain of her team, she would likely have some fairly good advise so that he could improve his game.

But how could he show his face around his sister if he lost more than one game on his first year as captain? Well... they lived together so he would have to. It was rather frustrating.

Upon stepping out onto the pitch, he noticed to already flying. Familiar faces. This made him feel a little better. His team was working outside of practice. At least two of them. Kicking off, he flew in the air. "Good to see that I'm not the only one taking extra time to practice." He called out in approval.

Lady made Magic
James noticed two others joining him and was pleased to find that they were people on his team. The captain and one of the newer players. A first year, if he remembered correctly. He nodded in greeting to Warbeck and Crabbe. "I wanted to work on some of my weaknesses," he stated. Which meant he was trying to figure out how to work with the fact one of his arms didn't work quite right. It hadn't since a childhood accident but no one knew about that and he intended to keep it that way.

Baird was one thing, but Warbeck? Rex was already too aware of his weaknesses—his failings—but now, when he had come to practice, here was the team's captain, a fact that the first year feared would split his focus.

He tried not to let his anxieties show.

"You can never practice too much," the chaser offered with a shrug that he hoped said, I am confident and collected and a quidditch legend, and I don't care who knows it. The badger realized that put a lot of pressure on a simple gesture, though, and would settle for what of it?.

In all honesty, Lucky respected Baird's statement and modesty more than Crabbe's shrug of indifference. Admitting a need for improvement was far better than simply acting as if getting in more practice was no big deal. If Crabbe kept that attitude, Lucky would not be that pleased to see the young Hufflepuff as a captain one day. Taking one's weaknesses seriously helped one to overcome them. But he let it go.

The captain instead decided to focus on planning. "A few laps around the goals could do us some good. Either of you have anything in mind for other ways that we can practice?" Teamwork was always important in quidditch. Lucky could always work on his speed, so that was his first idea.

Lady made Magic
Of course he did—for himself. What had begun as a genuine desire for self-improvement, though, was swiftly ebbing into uncomfortable team practice, and while Rex had spent enough time among quidditch players to know that a team had to function as a single unit, he was less convinced that he had already developed the skills to be useful within that unit.

But he couldn't very well tell the captain that!

"Baird and I could practice shooting and blocking," the first year offered instead. "Though I suppose," Rex added with a small smile, "you would have to play chaser for that to be most effective."

"While chaser is not the position that I am the most skilled at, I do have some practice from the club. This could help me build my skills. Good thinking Crabbe." Lucky encouraged, then looked at Baird with a friendly question in his eyes of if he wished to add anything.

Lady made Magic
Rex tried not to look too pleased with himself as his suggestion was well-received. What must it be like to be so confident playing any position? Would the youngster, too, in time, be as confident seeking, keeping, beating as he was chasing?

He looked to Baird for affirmation.

James had come down with the view of having some personal practice but this had worked out mighty fine. He could work on his team building while also trying to strength his damaged arm. "Sounds like a plan to me," James said in agreement anyway.

Lucky nodded. This will work out just fine. "Alright guys, let's get started."

Lady made Magic

View a Printable Version