Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Open
Fade to Grey
February 25, 1888 — Padmore Park
Where is the moment we needed the most
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
They tell me your blue skies fade to grey
They tell me your passion's gone away
And I don't need no carryin' on

Bad Day, by Daniel Powter

By and large, Tessie was a quiet and unassuming sort of woman. She always tried to wear a smile, though never untruthfully so. To portray herself as something she wasn't, whether that meant overly cheerful or overly gloomy, usually brought unwanted attention, and a proper woman never attracted unneeded attention to herself. Something today, however, was different.

After enjoying a cup of tea in the morning, Tessie had ventured out for a walk in Padmore Park. Unlike the soft, pleasant expression she usually wore, her features were pulled downwards into a gloomy frown. It went further than that, though; it seemed like her skin had grayed and her hair had flattened, leaving her looking like a dull figure in an otherwise bright portraits.

She tried to force a smile back onto her face, but it didn't seem possible! What had gotten into her? This was completely out of the norm, and she didn't personally feel any less happy than usual?

As she concentrated all of her focus on fixing her unpleasant expression, her cheeks became the only bright hue on her entire body—and when she walked so close to someone that she almost struck them, her cheeks brightened even more.

"Please forgive me!" she chirped... only it didn't come out as chirpy. She even sounded depressed!

Post Log
Percy had always appreciated Saturdays, while not a day of rest like Sundays, he still had the opportunity to do as he wished. This particular Saturday had shown promise for a few less cold hours as the morning continued and as such he had decided on a stroll in the park. He had left Lily at home as the small dog did not even like the slightest hint of the cold and as such found himself enjoying a quite peaceful walk through the park.

He was rather lost in his own thoughts that he hadn’t noticed a young woman on the same path until it was much too late. She almost walked into him and Percy only noticed at the last moment and stepped backward.

Before him was a young woman he recognized, or rather thought he recognized for she was almost entirely a variety of shades of gray. Nothing like the vibrant girl he had once met with his neice and nephew. Even her hair seemed gray and a frown, rather than the remembered smile was on her lips. Miss Darrow, he believed was her name.

It’s quite alright Miss Darrow.” Sometimes being a keen observer of life meant that he remembered the oddest things. Like a young woman who his niece had once quite instantly attached herself. Well, keen observer, and little Connie had insisted on asking about ‘Mmeh Dawwoah’ every time he brought her to High Street in the months that had passed.

Are you alright?” Concern coated his voice

[Image: 1wsKcIW.jpg]
Pretties from Lady <3
Tessa was indeed alright, but it seemed she was incapable of expressing herself as such! Even the smile she so desperately tried to spread across her lips drooped at the corners, and her frozen furrowed brows didn't do anything to ease the expression of utter despair. What was wrong with her? She certainly had to fix herself before returning home!

"Mr. Adlard," she greeted, her voice slow and dreary. "I'm afraid some sort of spell has been put on me. I—" Oh Merlin, she could feel the tears coming to her eyes! "—can't seem to smile, though nothing really is wrong."

Post Log
Percy didn’t know the last thing about emotional spells and the young lady looked rather more inclined to cry than to be alright. He really didn’t know what to do when young ladies cried, having two younger sisters might have had the possibility to help him on this front, but even after twenty some odd years he never had learned what to do other than feel awkward. But if it were a spell…. maybe she really was alright?

I haven’t heard of a spell that did that before. Potions sometimes…” He had heard of potions that twisted ones emotions, like luck, and love, maybe there was something to make one sad too? “Have you encountered any potions?” He inquired, still not convinced that she really was alright and magic was to blame instead of female emotions.

Pretties from Lady <3
Tears were now freely falling, and it was so frustrating! For a woman usually so cheerful and optimistic, she could tell she was doing a poor job of convincing Mr. Adlard as such. She shook her head at his question; she didn't think she'd come in contact with a potion. She'd done nothing outside her usual routine.

"I've only had my morning cup of tea and a small bite to eat — nothing unusual, though," she assured.

Post Log
"Did you buy anything new for your tea recently?" This was definitely not Percy's field. Now creatures he could tell you a thing or two about but mood altering magic? He wondered for a moment if there was a magical insect that might cause such a reaction. If there was it hadn't been discovered. Besides, that was the Pest Department not his. But he certainly couldn't leave Miss Darrow on her own like this.

"Perhaps we should go to hospital and see if they might have some better idea of what might have happened? I could accompany you there." He offered helpfully.

Pretties from Lady <3
Tessie had previously enjoyed her meeting with Mr. Adlard, but it was so difficult to enjoy it when she was incapable of being her sweet, charming self! She could see the look of concern on his face, and despite the fact that she was concerned, she had no desire to give other people a reason to be! If she was only capable of a smile or two.

"Oh no, Mr. Adlard, that's not necessary. I don't believe it's any sort of magic that won't wear off," she insisted, reaching out to touch his shoulder but pulled her hand back hastily. While she had to be dependent on other signs of body language to get her message across, perhaps breaking the rules of propriety to do so wasn't the best option.

"I must confess, it's quite embarrassing to face you looking so dreary! A smile is a woman's greatest accessory," she admitted. Without her smile, she looked like a droopy debutante who'd been dumped by a beau!

Post Log
Miss Darrow reached out her hand as if to assure him that she was alright, but he did not miss that it dropped away. It almost seemed natural that she might reach out. He choose to ignore the answer and instead looked at her in concern. “Are you sure?” Even if she felt it might wear off he wasn’t entirely sure she shouldn’t have it looked into just in case. Her certainly wasn’t the person to do so, he knew animals much better than people. There was a reason he wasn’t a healer.

Was she flirting with him? Percy wondered half surprised. He’d enjoyed his time with Miss Darrow last time, but he hadn’t realized that she might have been interested in anything other than his niece and nephew who had latched onto her. “I’ve seen plenty of young women without a smile.” Percy tried to assure her before he realized that really wasn’t what he meant. Oh dear. “Er, rather, I mean to say, I have two younger sisters….” That didn’t help matters either really. “That is to say, that even without a smile, they are still charming - Sisters! Sisters that is.” He really wasn’t doing well at this.

Are you really quite sure you wouldn’t like to just make sure you are alright? I can apperate us to St. Mungo’s. I’m sure they can help.

Pretties from Lady <3
Their exchange was an awkward one, but Tessie knew it was neither of their fault; with her difficulty conveying her emotions and his confusion regarding the situation, miscommunication was unavoidable. If only she know how to rid of this awful... whatever it was! Tessie bit her lip to prevent a frown—it wasn't as if she could smile anyhow!

"St. Mungo's would be quite a distance," she pointed out, though she had little desire to end up in Hogsmeade Hospital, either. Perhaps a dispatched mediwizard was a better option.

Post Log
Percy nodded, since he worked in London he hardly considered apperating on a daily basis to such a distance a big deal, but he could see that a young lady might not consider it the same way. There was apperation to deal with first, then the distance from home. “I would feel much less concerned if a healer were to look at you.” Percy admitted a pink tinting his cheeks. “Perhaps the Hogsmeade Hospital then? I could walk you there.

Pretties from Lady <3
With a resigned sigh, Tessie nodded her head. Despite her protests, she would need to get this figured out sooner or later, and it might be best to do before she had to deal with Maggie or Mercutio.

"Alright then," she said, before allowing him to lead her away.

Post Log

View a Printable Version